What can $158 buy you? A nice purse, pair of designer jeans, a fabulous family dinner... or a ticket for one of the red light cameras in Tampa that caught you driving through red! That's right, up to 20 red light cameras are going to be placed in Tampa's most dangerous intersections when council members voted 4 to 3 passing this very controversial measure.
The debate continues between individuals that believe this is a back door tax for the city to make more money, to others that believe these cameras truly do save lives. No matter what side you stand on, it still comes down to the fact that everyone will be stopping a little shorter than normal to avoid these hefty fines that will greet you in your mailbox. Red light cameras in Tampa may fine you up to $158 but remember, if you get pulled over by a police officer for running a red light, your ticket will be $249. So look on the bright side... or red side... If you get that lovely red light ticket in the mail, at least it wasn't from a police officer. I know that doesn't ease the frustration very much, but it's always good to find the silver lining in red clouds, so to speak.
*Top 20 Most Dangerous Intersections That May Receive A Red Light Camera in Tampa*
- Hillsborough Ave. & 40th St.
- Fowler Ave. & 30th St.
- Hillsborough Ave. & Himes Ave.
- Dale Mabry Hwy. & Hillsborough Ave.
- Gandy Blvd. & Manhattan Ave.
- Florida Ave. & Waters Ave.
- Hillsborough Ave. & Nebraska Ave.
- Dale Mabry Hwy. & Columbus Dr.
- Dale Mabry Hwy. & Kennedy Blvd.
- Armenia Ave. & Waters Ave.
- Fowler Ave. & Nebraska Ave.
- 50th St. & Adamo Dr.
- Dale Mabry Hw. & Gandy Blvd.
- Busch Blvd. & Florida Ave.
- Gandy Blvd. & Westshore Blvd.
- 22nd St. & Hillsborough Ave.
- Hillsborough Ave. & Habana Ave.
- 22nd St. & Fowler Ave.
- Bruce B Downs Blvd. & Ambery Dr.
- Kennedy Blvd. & Tampa St.