Still need to file your taxes? You've got some free help in the Bay Area!
If you and your family make less than $64,000 annually, try United Way Suncoast. They'll prepare and e-file your return and set you up for direct deposit, all for free! They have 42 locations covering Hillsborough and Pinellas counties (Sarasota/DeSoto too). Click the county on their site for specific locations and hours of operation. Most locations are walk-ins, but some require an appointment.
H&R Block can also help! For a limited time, even if you have a mortgage and itemized deductions, you can file for free. If you have a 1040EZ, 1040A or 1040 with Schedule A, you'll pay nothing when you file on-line. Look for details on the H&R Block More Zero program when you visit their site.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free help if you make $54,000 or less, have a disability or have limited English-speaking skills. They'll help you file your own tax return. Volunteers with IRS-certification can help with free basic return preparation with electronic filing to those that qualify. They offer several locations around Tampa Bay.
No matter where you go for help, you'll need to bring the following:
- Your 2015 federal income tax return.
- Social security cards and correct birth dates for family members.
- A photo ID.
- If you're married and filing a joint return, both of you must be present.
- All 1098 forms (mortgage, college).
- All income statements, including 1099 forms.
- Your 1095-A (Healthcare) Form.
- Details on any income not already reported in a statement.
- Records of any qualified expenses and/or deductibles not shown on a statement.
- A checking and/or savings account number if you want direct deposit.
- Childcare provider name, address, tax ID/social security number if applicable.
Stay tuned for our article on Tax Day Deals. A fun way to celebrate your accomplished task by congratulating yourself with some fun treats!