Give Day Tampa Bay 2017, dubbed the biggest day for online giving, returns on Tuesday, May 2, ready to reach new heights for local charities. Give Day is a 24 hour challenge, beginning at midnight and running until 11:59 p.m. The goal is to raise much-needed money and awareness for local Tampa Bay nonprofits. Participating causes range from education to the environment to animal welfare to the arts, programs for the elderly, children and families and more. With nearly 500 nonprofits registered, anyone can find a nonprofit that they're passionate about to help build a better community.
The Community Foundation of Tampa Bay has hosted the event for the last four years, which raised more than $2 million for nearly 600 Tampa Bay area nonprofits last year. For more than 25 years, the Community Foundation of Tampa Bay has been dedicated to making giving easy and meaningful for donors as a way to strengthen nonprofit organizations and build a better, more vibrant community. This year they hope to surpass last year's Give Day donations. Donations will begin at a $5 minimum, allowing donors to give to a variety of organizations and letting them engage and learn more about the various groups throughout the Tampa Bay community.
"Give Day Tampa Bay is an opportunity for people who want to help, but may not know how they can support local nonprofits," said Marlene Spalten, President, and CEO of the Community Foundation, “During the 24 hours of Give Day, there’s a focus on the collective power of giving and doing good together to make a positive impact on our community.”
Give Day is a great way to know your donation is helping someone or a cause in your local community. All donations are tax-deductible and will remain in the Tampa Bay area. Nonprofits from Citrus, Hernando, Hillsborough, Pasco and Pinellas counties have registered to participate in Give Day this year. All of the money donated on Give Day - less a small credit card processing fee - will be given to the nonprofit for which it is intended. The Community Foundation does not keep any money donated on Give Day. Over the past four years, nearly $5 million has been raised for local nonprofits, and that money has stayed right here in the Tampa Bay area.
To make Give Day a fun and exciting day for donors, many local companies will be offering incentives and prizes to benefit the donor and the company's selected non-profits. Two local companies will be offering the following:
7-9 a.m. - USAmeriBank is giving free Buddy Brew coffee to all Give Day donors at its Westshore branch, 405 N. Westshore Blvd. in Tampa. The Girl Scouts of West Central Florida will also give away free Girl Scout cookies!
5-8 p.m. - Portillo’s restaurants in Brandon (1748 W. Brandon Blvd.) and Tampa (2102 E. Fowler Ave.) will donate 25 percent of its proceeds to Shriners Hospitals for Children.
Other all-day events include:
- Donate at least $25 to High-Risk Hope and receive a $25 shopping pass to Hyde Park Village.
- Beat Nb, a cause that is working to beat neuroblastoma childhood cancer, is unveiling a photography exhibit at Lykes Gaslight Square Park, 401 N. Franklin St. in Tampa. For every donation of $25 or more, one magnet will be removed to reveal a little more of the image underneath the 500 magnets. Donors can take home the magnet and a signed thank you photo of Tampa Bay Lightning player Ryan Callahan.
- NOMAD Art Bus, Bess the Book Bus, Boards 4 Bros, Bluebird Book Bus, Giving Tree Music, and St. Pete Women’s Collective are teaming up to distribute donated books at various locations in Pinellas and Hillsborough County. The “Good Moves” caravan culminates with a wrap party at the Skatepark of Tampa, 4215 E. Columbus Drive in Tampa, from 6-9 p.m.
- Community Food Pantry will receive proceeds from sales at Burger 21’s Carrollwood location, 11777 N. Dale Mabry Highway in Tampa, throughout the day.
- All six Tampa Bay Burger Monger locations will donate a portion of proceeds to Big Brothers Big Sisters of Tampa Bay on Give Day.
It’s quick and easy to give during Give Day Tampa Bay 2017. Visit www.GiveDay.org on May 2 and find the nonprofit(s) you want to support from the list of participating organizations. With a few clicks and a small donation, you can be the change you want to see in your community!